Saturday, January 21, 2012

Suitcase Saturday



For our first Suitcase Saturday I picked one of the smallest ones I have. It's a reproduction (I got it at Ross!) of a vintage ladies' accessory travel box. But I use it to hold my collection of cabinet cards - those wonderful 4x6" photos from the late 1800's, early 1900's.



They are wonderful in journals, collage, and assemblage.



I've found mine at swap meets, flea markets, antique fairs and malls, and always available on Etsy or eBay.


Buttons & Bows - 11x14"

When I did my Shabby Chic Collection in 2010 I used them quite a bit.


2 comments:

  1. You know, I've been fascinated by Cabinet cards Ive seen at antique malls, but I've never gotten any. I must go back and get somee. They just look so yummy. I never use vintage images in my work, but just to alter and embellish these babies up (after copying of course) would be so fun.

    GREAT CASE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris - Check out work by Lynn Wipple - she uses the old photos like this, but does wonderful,, whimsical things with them that move them from vintage to now.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete