Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Winter Wonderland



On our recent trip to New Hampshire there was something quite wonderful about bundling up, taking a brisk walk in the snow and then coming back to the cozy fireside and working in my journal.




Before we left, I prepped several of the pages with a beautiful blue glaze from Golden and others with a cream craft acrylic. With my stencil knowledge from Mary Ann Moss, I did a few of the pages and the back cover, using paper and lace doilies (which look very snow-like) and a Michelle Ward stencil from Mary Beth Shaw's Stencil Girl.



I spent some time last fall seeking out snow stuff - paper, ribbon, brads, rusty (!) snowflakes, and vintage postcards from long ago New Hampshire winters. It all got packed up in a cigar box (what else?!) and taken along. I went with a general colour scheme of blue, cream and rust, so dug through the stash finding bits and bobs that would work. All this went into the box as well.



I loved the way this vintage doily looked like a giant snowflake that landed on the journal page.


As usual by the time it was finished it was so full it almost made a circle when I stood it upright. But that's the way I love my journals and altered books - stuffed, crammed - completely replete with memories of the journey.

4 comments:

  1. This is lovely journal, Erin! Thanks for sharing with us. Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie - Thanks, it was a lot of fun working on it. I know that in the future opening it will bring back all the wonderful memories of our trip.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way you like journals -- "stuffed, crammed - completely replete with memories of the journey -- is the way I like life. It seems art and life are flip sides of the same coin -- one informs the other and vice versa.

    Thankful you enjoyed your dose of winter snow.

    Janell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janell - Yes! Art and life - definitely so connected. I like to think I now see my life as art, always conscious of colour, form and content.
    It's a lovely way to be going on.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete